The Operator for the Teeth: Charles Allen 1685
The first English Dentistry Text-book.
|by experience it self, as ( to say no more at present ) may be instanced in the case of a certain Lady , who thinking to have two Teeth growing one on the top of another, came one day to my Master to have one of them drawn: my Master told her that they were not two distinct teeth , but only a double one; but the Lady being not satisfied with this, desired him to take out the Tooth , she had told him of, let it be what it would : the Tooth being drawn out , and proving as my Master had said, it was quickly set again into the jaw ; and with the use of some convenient and proper remedies, became in few weeks to be as firm again as any of the rest.
And yet although the event of this Particular, had not proved so prosperous as it did ; its ill success would not destroy in me the profitability of such a Transplanting , or inoculation of Teeth: ( if I may be permitted to use such Terms ) that was not the only motive I had to believe it ; and I have not inserted the Story of it here as an Argument to prove invincibly what I say ; but only as a proper Example to render probable to others, what I know to be true : However I do not like that method of drawing Teeth out of some Folks heads, to put them into others , both for its being too inhumane, and attended with too many Difficulties ; and then neither could this be called the Restauration of Teeth, since the reparation of one, is the ruin of another : it is only robbing of Peter to pay Paul ; But if instead of humane Teeth , there is use made of those of some Brutes; as Dogs, Sheep, etc. In such case I do not only approve of it as lawful and facile, but do also esteem it as very profitable, and advantageous: only care is to be had , that the thing be undertaken, and carried on by one that at least knows something of anatomy: and has a right sense of the thing to be done : being furnished with whatever is necessary in an Operation of that nature.
Click to magnify
How much does dentaljuce membership cost?
12 months subscription to the whole site costs just £79 GBP
International payment in your own currency with PayPal
100+ hours of verifiable CPD / CE. No extra payments.
Pay by card or cheque
- Really good, very user friendly and practical. (JW)
- It has to be the best value CPD around, and probably the most useful. Many
- Very impressed - keep being interrupted by patients turning up! (PW)
- I couldn't manage now without Dentaljuce. (AH - BDS Student)
- Well good, detail excellent, very clear to use (JM)
- Very good material. Brilliant for CPD. (PC)
- Excellent step by step guides and photos (SR)
- Taking ORE soon - this site is soooooo useful (AK)
- Excellent layout, great photos (PM)
- I cannot believe how brilliant this site is. I have passed Part 1 of the
MJDF exam, and it will help so much for my Part 2. The animations, videos and
content in general is just brilliant. Thank you. (DI)
- This is the Catherine Deneuve of online dentisty. (MF)
- I have to say dentaljuce gets better each time I look. (PP)
- This website is so great, I have been telling so many people. Fantastic.
- Thought provoking, and good reminder of what we should know. (FC)
- Concise and reflective
- Excellent content clearly explained
- Wow. I actually understand occlusion now, thank you so much. I saw those BDJ
articles years ago when newly qualified and I didn't understand any of it. It is
all so much more understandable now, thank you. (TD)
- Brilliant videos, thank you. (WS)