Essential Drugs Kit
In the UK, the Resucitation Council recommends this list of emergency drugs to be present in every general dental practice:
• Glyceryl trinitrate (GTN) spray (400micrograms / dose)
• Salbutamol aerosol inhaler (100micrograms / actuation)
• Adrenaline injection (1:1000, 1mg/ml)
• Aspirin dispersable (300mg)
• Glucagon injection 1mg
• Oral glucose solution / tablets / gel / powder
• Midazolam - 5mg/ml or 10mg/ml (buccal or intranasal)
They further advise that:
• All drugs should be stored together in a purposely-designed 'Emergency Drug' storage container.
• Where possible drugs in solution should be in a pre-filled syringe.
• The use of intravenous drugs for medical emergencies in general dental practice is to be discouraged. Intramuscular, inhalational, sublingual, buccal and intranasal routes are all much quicker to administer drugs in an emergency.
Please note that other countries and authorities may recommend additional items.
Which emergency condition(s) might you need GTN for?
Which emergency condition(s) might you need Salbutamol for?
Which emergency condition(s) might you need Adrenaline for?
Which emergency condition(s) might you need Aspirin for?
Which emergency condition(s) might you need Glucagon for?
Which emergency condition(s) might you need Oral glucose solution / tablets / gel / powder for?
Which emergency condition(s) might you need buccal / intranasal Midazolam for?
Educational aims of this juceThe dentaljuce medical emergencies module has these CPD aims and objectives:
• To understand the various medical emergencies that might arise in dental practice.
• To recognise the signs and symptoms of different types of medical emergencies
• To know about and be able to undertake their management.
• To know how the risks of a medical emergency occurring can be reduced for individual patients.
This page contains verifiable CE / CPD
How much does dentaljuce membership cost?
12 months subscription to the whole site costs just £79 GBP
International payment in your own currency with PayPal
100+ hours of verifiable CPD / CE. No extra payments.
Pay by card or cheque
- Really good, very user friendly and practical. (JW)
- It has to be the best value CPD around, and probably the most useful. Many
- Very impressed - keep being interrupted by patients turning up! (PW)
- I couldn't manage now without Dentaljuce. (AH - BDS Student)
- Well good, detail excellent, very clear to use (JM)
- Very good material. Brilliant for CPD. (PC)
- Excellent step by step guides and photos (SR)
- Taking ORE soon - this site is soooooo useful (AK)
- Excellent layout, great photos (PM)
- I cannot believe how brilliant this site is. I have passed Part 1 of the
MJDF exam, and it will help so much for my Part 2. The animations, videos and
content in general is just brilliant. Thank you. (DI)
- This is the Catherine Deneuve of online dentisty. (MF)
- I have to say dentaljuce gets better each time I look. (PP)
- This website is so great, I have been telling so many people. Fantastic.
- Thought provoking, and good reminder of what we should know. (FC)
- Concise and reflective
- Excellent content clearly explained
- Wow. I actually understand occlusion now, thank you so much. I saw those BDJ
articles years ago when newly qualified and I didn't understand any of it. It is
all so much more understandable now, thank you. (TD)
- Brilliant videos, thank you. (WS)