Collecting waste extracted teeth for your local undergraduates
How dentists can help their local dental schools
The use of waste extracted teeth plays a vital role in the education and training of undergraduate dental students. Gaining an appreciation for the consistency of diseased and healthy tooth tissue cannot be reproduced by synthetic products. Therefore it is imperative for students to simulate operative exercises on waste extracted teeth prior to treating patients and for refining their clinical skills.
Due to patients retaining teeth longer and a lack of understanding of current legislation the supply of waste natural teeth has declined. We would encourage General Practitioners to collect waste teeth for any local undergraduates that request it. Here are some basic guidelines for UK dentists:
• Verbal consent must be obtained by the patient to retain the waste tooth for educational purposes.
• Written consent is not required.
• A simple abbreviation such as CRT – consent to retain teeth can be written in the notes indicating that verbal consent was obtained.
• The teeth should be of reasonable quality, have all soft tissue removed and be stored in a dilute solution of household bleach – diluted one part bleach to five parts water
• Teeth should be stored in a plastic container and not glass.
Most patients are very supportive and normally only to happy to help out and provide support for education. Maintaining a supply for dental schools is vital to continue a high standard of operative teaching for dental students.
How much does dentaljuce membership cost?
12 months subscription to the whole site costs just £79 GBP
International payment in your own currency with PayPal
100+ hours of verifiable CPD / CE. No extra payments.
Pay by card or cheque
- Really good, very user friendly and practical. (JW)
- It has to be the best value CPD around, and probably the most useful. Many
- Very impressed - keep being interrupted by patients turning up! (PW)
- I couldn't manage now without Dentaljuce. (AH - BDS Student)
- Well good, detail excellent, very clear to use (JM)
- Very good material. Brilliant for CPD. (PC)
- Excellent step by step guides and photos (SR)
- Taking ORE soon - this site is soooooo useful (AK)
- Excellent layout, great photos (PM)
- I cannot believe how brilliant this site is. I have passed Part 1 of the
MJDF exam, and it will help so much for my Part 2. The animations, videos and
content in general is just brilliant. Thank you. (DI)
- This is the Catherine Deneuve of online dentisty. (MF)
- I have to say dentaljuce gets better each time I look. (PP)
- This website is so great, I have been telling so many people. Fantastic.
- Thought provoking, and good reminder of what we should know. (FC)
- Concise and reflective
- Excellent content clearly explained
- Wow. I actually understand occlusion now, thank you so much. I saw those BDJ
articles years ago when newly qualified and I didn't understand any of it. It is
all so much more understandable now, thank you. (TD)
- Brilliant videos, thank you. (WS)