Periodontal disease affects the gingiva, alveolar bone and supporting tissues of the teeth.
Although most individuals suffer gingival inflammation from time to time, studies indicate wide variation in susceptibility to periodontal disease and suggest that whilst 80 % of the population will develop some signs of the disease, about 10 % of the population are at high risk of developing severe destructive disease.
This group appears to be at greatest risk of losing teeth through periodontal disease.
Periodontics is the clinical discipline which deals with the prevention or treatment of diseases of the supporting tissues of the teeth by any means which are necessary and appropriate. This word is not popular with many periodontists, and "Periodontal Management" is felt to be a more appropriate term.
This large module has been divided into 8 topics:
• The Periodontal Team
• Periodontal Anatomy
• Periodontal Assessment
• The Role of Plaque
• Periodontal Treatment
• Pathology of Periodontal Diseases
If you're not yet a member of Dentaljuce, we highly recommend you to join and gain access to our comprehensive course on periodontology.
This course, along with over 100 other CPD courses, is available for a single membership payment.
The aim of the learning and teaching materials in this Dentaljuce module is to allow learners to develop their professional knowledge, understanding and competence in the field of periodontology and periodontics, in line with their identified personal learning requirements.
- to update members of the dental team with their understanding of, and current best practices in prevention and management of gingivitis and periodontal disease.
Anticipated learning outcomes:The learner will, with respect to the components that he or she has elected to study as listed below:
- learn the concepts that underpin modern periodontal management theory.
- understand the 2017 classification of periodontal conditions.
- apply these concepts to the prevention of periodontal diseases, and the management and treatment of patients with these diseases.
- through achieving these outcomes, provide an improved level of service to their patients.
GDC Development Outcomes
This CPD will support the learner in meeting the following GDC Development Outcome(s): A, B, C, D.