Welcome to this Dentaljuce module on sepsis, one of the world’s biggest killers. World-wide, 20% of all deaths are due to sepsis.
Sepsis is a life-threatening condition caused by the body’s reaction to an infection.
Normally, a person’s immune system will attack and try to destroy the micro-organisms that cause an infection. It does this by releasing bioactive chemicals. Occasionally, when the micro-organisms have entered the blood stream, these chemicals are released in such huge amounts that they attack the person’s whole body as well as the original infection. This is known as sepsis.
Member Feedback on Sepsis
- Excellent module, very comprehensive and taught in a great way!
- Another well designed module. I am surprised Sepsis is not gaining more attention
- This module was really clear and concise and provided good quality information and was also interesting and easy to follow
- Good module, pitched at the correct level for general dental practice.
- Very informative module on the causes and symptoms of sepsis and the red flag system for identifying the disease.
The Sepsis online learning course has clear and concise aims, objectives and anticipated outcomes, listed below. These will appear on the Dentaljuce Enhanced CPD Certificate, along with the time spent, dates, and detailed topics you studied within the module. Certificates can be printed at any time, covering any range of dates. Dentaljuce CPD complies with the UK GDC's requirements for enhanced verifiable continuing professional development.
Before starting this module, check that the learning outcomes are what you require, and that you have entered the need into your PDP. Here is an example PDP entry for this module.
|What development needs have I?||How will I address them?||Target completion date||Outcomes||Date
|Improve my knowledge of Sepsis and Septic Shock
(GDC outcomes: C)
|Take the Dentaljuce Sepsis course.||
|What development needs have I?||Improve my knowledge of Sepsis and Septic Shock
(GDC outcome C)
|How will I address them?||Take the Dentaljuce Sepsis course.|
|Target completion date|
Module Aims and Outcomes
The aim of the learning and teaching materials in this Dentaljuce module is to allow learners to develop their professional knowledge, understanding and management skills in relation to sepsis, in line with their identified personal development requirements.
- to teach about sepsis and its management.
Anticipated learning outcomes:The learner will:
- Know what sepsis and septic shock are.
- Understand the causal mechanisms for sepsis and septic shock.
- Learn when and how to use the Sepsis Trust UK flow chart to assess sepsis risk.
- Know what to do next when sepsis is suspected.
- through achieving these outcomes, provide an improved level of service to their patients.
GDC Development Outcomes
This CPD will support the learner in meeting the following GDC Development Outcome(s): C.