Welcome to this Dentaljuce course on Smoking Cessation, much of which references the "Delivering better oral health" toolkit provided by NHS England.
Tobacco use is a major public health concern, contributing to a range of oral health issues including periodontal disease, tooth loss, and oral cancer.
The course focuses on the messages and effective simple advice that dental professionals should give to their patients who smoke or use tobacco products, to support them in quitting. It also provides a background to the public health issues regarding tobacco use.
By equipping dental professionals with evidence-based strategies and communication techniques for smoking cessation, this course plays a vital role in enhancing patient care and addressing a key public health challenge.
If you're not yet a member of Dentaljuce, we highly recommend you to join and gain access to our comprehensive course on Smoking Cessation.
This course, along with over 100 other CPD courses, is available for a single membership payment.
The aim of the learning and teaching materials in this Dentaljuce module is to allow learners to develop their professional knowledge and competence in helping their patients to stop smoking, in line with their identified personal learning requirements and the requirements of the UK NHS's "Delivering better oral health" toolkit.
- to update members of the dental team with current best practice for helping patients stop smoking.
Anticipated learning outcomes:The learner will, with respect to the components that he or she has elected to study as listed below:
- Understand the public health situation regarding tobacco use.
- Know the effects of tobacco products on oral health.
- Know the different ways that tobacco can be used.
- Know how to use the VBA technique to help smokers quit.
- Understand the role of vaping, and drugs, in helping people quit smoking.
- Through achieving these outcomes, provide an improved level of service to their patients.
GDC Development Outcomes
This CPD will support the learner in meeting the following GDC Development Outcome(s): A, D.