Oral cancer is self-evidently an important topic for dental teams to know about. Knowledge of skin cancer is equally important, though often overlooked in training. Few get as close to a person’s face on a regular basis as dental teams.
The face (and if bald the top of the head) is a common area to get skin cancer, as it is much more exposed to the sun than most other parts of the body. 90% of skin cancers are caused by exposure to the ultra-violet rays of the sun.
The UV light damages (mutates) the cells' DNA, and some mutations can cause the cells to divide uncontrollably – that is, become cancerous.
Member Feedback on Face Cancer
- I love the multiple photos provided, this is so incredibly helpful.
- Easy to follow format with lots of useful facts and figures, which can be used to reassure patients when discussing potential or confirmed diagnoses.
- Very useful, presented the right amount of information and wasn't too heavy in each section.
- Pictures were very useful in demonstrating clinical presentation. Very clearly laid out and user friendly. Excellent and succinct content.
- Good clear information at the correct level.
The Face Cancer online learning course has clear and concise aims, objectives and anticipated outcomes, listed below. These will appear on the Dentaljuce Enhanced CPD Certificate, along with the time spent, dates, and detailed topics you studied within the module. Certificates can be printed at any time, covering any range of dates. Dentaljuce CPD complies with the UK GDC's requirements for enhanced verifiable continuing professional development.
Before starting this module, check that the learning outcomes are what you require, and that you have entered the need into your PDP. Here is an example PDP entry for this module.
|What development needs have I?||How will I address them?||Target completion date||Outcomes||Date
|Improve my recognition of Skin Cancers
(GDC outcomes: C D)
|Take the Dentaljuce Face (Skin) Cancer module.||
|What development needs have I?||Improve my recognition of Skin Cancers
(GDC outcome C D)
|How will I address them?||Take the Dentaljuce Face (Skin) Cancer module.|
|Target completion date|
Module Aims and Outcomes
The aim of the learning and teaching materials in this Dentaljuce module is to allow learners to develop their professional knowledge, understanding and management skills in face (skin) cancer, in line with their identified personal development requirements.
- to teach how to recognise face (skin) cancer and pre-cancer.
- to teach the causes, prevention and management.
Anticipated learning outcomes:The learner will:
- be able to examine a patient for skin cancer
- know when to refer suspected lesions.
- be able to advise patients about the causes, prevention, and treatments for face (skin) cancer.
- understand the Practice duty of care with respect to face (skin) cancer.
- through achieving these outcomes, provide an improved level of service to their patients.
GDC Development Outcomes
This CPD will support the learner in meeting the following GDC Development Outcome(s): C D.