Leadership in dental teams
In this module we relate developments in the field of leadership to dental practice. Our emphasis is on the main approaches to leadership, excluding those that may be more applicable to larger organisations. There are many more approaches to leadership in the literature and the field is constantly developing.
Leadership is not just for bosses - all members of the dental team are expected to provide some sort of leadership.
When inspecting dental practices, the Care Quality Commission (CQC) is very interested in this topic. Taking this course will give you a grounding in leadership.
The CQC will look at the following points:
Is there the leadership capacity and capability to deliver high-quality, sustainable care?
- Do leaders have the skills, knowledge, experience and integrity that they need – both when they are appointed and on an ongoing basis?
- Do leaders understand the challenges to quality and sustainability, and can they identify the actions needed to address them?
- Are leaders visible and approachable?
- Are there clear priorities for ensuring sustainable, compassionate, inclusive and effective leadership, and is there a leadership strategy or development programme, which includes succession planning?
Member Feedback on Leadership in dental teams
- Very interesting topic: the importance of leadership in the dental team is often underestimated.
- Thank you, this CPD was practical and useful.
- Easy and simple explanation of different leadership styles.
- Most informative module on the various leadership approaches benefitting a dental practice
- This CPD activity was well constructed, succinct and informative. Thank you.
The Leadership in dental teams online learning course has clear and concise aims, objectives and anticipated outcomes, listed below. These will appear on the Dentaljuce Enhanced CPD Certificate, along with the time spent, dates, and detailed topics you studied within the module. Certificates can be printed at any time, covering any range of dates. Dentaljuce CPD complies with the UK GDC's requirements for enhanced verifiable continuing professional development.
Before starting this module, check that the learning outcomes are what you require, and that you have entered the need into your PDP. Here is an example PDP entry for this module.
|What development needs have I?||How will I address them?||Target completion date||Outcomes||Date
|To improve my understanding and competence with leadership in the practice environment
(GDC outcomes: A B D)
|Take the Dentaljuce Leadership course.||
|What development needs have I?||To improve my understanding and competence with leadership in the practice environment
(GDC outcome A B D)
|How will I address them?||Take the Dentaljuce Leadership course.|
|Target completion date|
Module Aims and Outcomes
The aim of the learning and teaching materials in this Dentaljuce module is to allow learners to improve their understanding and competence with leadership in the practice environment in line with their identified personal learning requirements.
- to introduce different leadership styles and how they may relate to the dental practice.
Anticipated learning outcomes:The learner will attain:
- improved awareness of the role of leadership in dental practice management
- improved awareness of some of the different approaches to leadership
- improved awareness of the benefits to dental practice of certain leadership styles
- through achieving these outcomes, provide an improved level of service to their patients.
GDC Development Outcomes
This CPD will support the learner in meeting the following GDC Development Outcome(s): A B D.