Adrenal insufficiency and crisis
Adrenal crisis is a potentially life-threatening medical condition requiring immediate emergency treatment. It is a set of symptoms that indicate severe adrenal insufficiency caused by low levels of the hormone cortisol.
This module looks in detail at Addison's disease and how to manage it in the dental setting, including steroid dose adjustments for dental procedures.
Dental teams should also know how to advise patients with Addison's disease about how to change their steroid dose before coming to an appointment.
Member Feedback on Adrenal Insufficiency and Crisis
- Really interesting and informative module that provided clear information
- Great course to remind the importance of knowing our patient medical history prior any dental treatment
- Very clear and well structured.
- A good module - very helpful indeed
The Adrenal Insufficiency / Crisis online learning module has clear and concise aims, objectives and anticipated outcomes, listed below. These will appear on the Dentaljuce Enhanced CPD Certificate, along with the time spent, dates, and detailed topics you studied within the module. Certificates can be printed at any time, covering any range of dates. Dentaljuce CPD complies with the UK GDC's requirements for enhanced verifiable continuing professional development.
Before starting this module, check that the learning outcomes are what you require, and that you have entered the need into your PDP. Here is an example PDP entry for this module.
|What development needs have I?||How will I address them?||Target completion date||Outcomes||Date
|To improve my knowledge and management skills for patients with Addison's Disease, and Adrenal Crisis.||Take the Dentaljuce Adrenal Insufficiency / Crisis module.||• Understand how to prevent an adrenal crisis.
• Understand how to diagnose and manage an adrenal crisis.
• Understand how to minimise the risk of adrenal crisis at a dental appointment.
• Understand the aetiology and management of Addison's disease.
|What development needs have I?||To improve my knowledge and management skills for patients with Addison's Disease, and Adrenal Crisis.|
|How will I address them?||Take the Dentaljuce Adrenal Insufficiency / Crisis module.|
|Target completion date|
• Understand how to prevent an adrenal crisis.
Module Aims and Outcomes Click here
The aim of the learning and teaching materials in this Dentaljuce module is to allow learners to develop their professional knowledge, understanding and competence in managing Addison's Disease, and the medical emergency Adrenal Crisis, in line with their identified personal learning requirements.
• to update members of the dental team with current best practice in managing Addison's and Adrenal Crisis.
Anticipated learning outcomes
The learner will:
• recognise the importance of Addison's disease as it relates to Dental Practice.
• Know the aetiology and management for Addison's disease.
• Understand how to minimise the risk of adrenal crisis at a dental appointment, include steroid dose adjustments.
• Know how to successfully diagnose and manage an Adrenal Crisis.
• through achieving these outcomes, provide an improved level of service to their patients.
GDC Development Outcomes
This CPD will support the learner in meeting the following GDC Development Outcomes:
• DO C. (Clinical domain) Maintenance and development of knowledge and skill within your field of practice
• DO D. (Professionalism domain) Maintenance of skills, behaviours and attitudes which maintain patient confidence in you and the dental profession and put patients' interests first.