Adrenal insufficiency and crisis
Are you a dental professional looking to improve your knowledge and understanding of adrenal insufficiency and crisis, and its potential impact on oral health? If so, this course is the perfect opportunity for you.
This module looks in detail at Addison's disease and how to manage it in the dental setting, including steroid dose adjustments for dental procedures.
Adrenal insufficiency is a condition in which the adrenal glands do not produce enough of the hormones cortisol and aldosterone. This can have a number of potential effects on oral health, including dry mouth, altered taste, and increased risk of infection. As a dental professional, it is important to be aware of the potential impact of adrenal insufficiency on your patients and to take steps to provide appropriate care and support.
Adrenal crisis is a potentially life-threatening medical condition requiring immediate emergency treatment. It is a set of symptoms that indicate severe adrenal insufficiency caused by low levels of the hormone cortisol.
Our course on the importance of adrenal insufficiency and crisis to dentistry is designed to provide dental professionals with a comprehensive understanding of this condition and its potential effects on oral health. The course covers a range of topics, including the causes and symptoms of adrenal insufficiency, the impact of the condition on oral health, and strategies for diagnosing and managing adrenal crisis in the dental practice.
The aim of the learning and teaching materials in this Dentaljuce module is to allow learners to develop their professional knowledge, understanding and competence in managing Addison's Disease, and the medical emergency Adrenal Crisis, in line with their identified personal learning requirements.
- to update members of the dental team with current best practice in managing Addison's and Adrenal Crisis.
Anticipated learning outcomes:
- Recognise the importance of Addison's disease as it relates to Dental Practice.
- Know the aetiology and management for Addison's disease.
- Understand how to minimise the risk of adrenal crisis at a dental appointment, include steroid dose adjustments.
- Know how to successfully diagnose and manage an Adrenal Crisis.
- Through achieving these outcomes, provide an improved level of service to their patients.
GDC Development Outcomes
This CPD will support the learner in meeting the following GDC Development Outcome(s): C, D.