Adrenal insufficiency and crisis
Are you a dental professional looking to improve your knowledge and understanding of adrenal insufficiency and crisis, and its potential impact on oral health? If so, this course is the perfect opportunity for you.
This module looks in detail at Addison's disease and how to manage it in the dental setting, including steroid dose adjustments for dental procedures.
Adrenal insufficiency is a condition in which the adrenal glands do not produce enough of the hormones cortisol and aldosterone. This can have a number of potential effects on oral health, including dry mouth, altered taste, and increased risk of infection. As a dental professional, it is important to be aware of the potential impact of adrenal insufficiency on your patients and to take steps to provide appropriate care and support.
Adrenal crisis is a potentially life-threatening medical condition requiring immediate emergency treatment. It is a set of symptoms that indicate severe adrenal insufficiency caused by low levels of the hormone cortisol.
Our course on the importance of adrenal insufficiency and crisis to dentistry is designed to provide dental professionals with a comprehensive understanding of this condition and its potential effects on oral health. The course covers a range of topics, including the causes and symptoms of adrenal insufficiency, the impact of the condition on oral health, and strategies for diagnosing and managing adrenal crisis in the dental practice.
Member Feedback on Adrenal insufficiency and crisis
- Really interesting and informative module that provided clear information
- Great course to remind the importance of knowing our patient medical history prior any dental treatment
- Very clear and well structured
- A good module - very helpful indeed
- Well done on a most comprehensive module. Interesting and informative
The Adrenal insufficiency and crisis online learning course has clear and concise aims, objectives and anticipated outcomes, listed below. These will appear on the Dentaljuce Enhanced CPD Certificate, along with the time spent, dates, and detailed topics you studied within the module. Certificates can be printed at any time, covering any range of dates. Dentaljuce CPD complies with the UK GDC's requirements for enhanced verifiable continuing professional development.
Before starting this module, check that the learning outcomes are what you require, and that you have entered the need into your PDP. Here is an example PDP entry for this module.
|What development needs have I?||How will I address them?||Target completion date||Outcomes||Date
|To improve my knowledge and management skills for patients with Addison's Disease, and Adrenal Crisis.
(GDC outcomes: C D)
|Take the Dentaljuce Adrenal Insufficiency / Crisis course||
|What development needs have I?||To improve my knowledge and management skills for patients with Addison's Disease, and Adrenal Crisis.
(GDC outcome C D)
|How will I address them?||Take the Dentaljuce Adrenal Insufficiency / Crisis course|
|Target completion date|
Module Aims and Outcomes
The aim of the learning and teaching materials in this Dentaljuce module is to allow learners to develop their professional knowledge, understanding and competence in managing Addison's Disease, and the medical emergency Adrenal Crisis, in line with their identified personal learning requirements.
- to update members of the dental team with current best practice in managing Addison's and Adrenal Crisis.
Anticipated learning outcomes:The learner will:
- Recognise the importance of Addison's disease as it relates to Dental Practice.
- Know the aetiology and management for Addison's disease.
- Understand how to minimise the risk of adrenal crisis at a dental appointment, include steroid dose adjustments.
- Know how to successfully diagnose and manage an Adrenal Crisis.
- Through achieving these outcomes, provide an improved level of service to their patients.
GDC Development Outcomes
This CPD will support the learner in meeting the following GDC Development Outcome(s): C D.