Historically, dental amalgam is the world’s most commonly used restorative material. Its use is declining due to patient and professional demand for tooth-coloured restorations that are adhesive and promote minimally invasive tooth preparation techniques.
Significant reduction has also resulted from environmental concerns relating to dental amalgam’s ~50% mercury content. This course provides a comprehensive review of the status of dental amalgam including its advantages and disadvantages, amalgam safety, regulations and legislation and a comparison with alternative restorative materials.
Amalgam remains an excellent restorative material for long-lasting restorations in large/complex cavities and where moisture control presents challenges.
Member Feedback on Dental Amalgam
- I really like the style of writing and the common sense approach to the subject, not just academic but realistic and well researched.
- Excellent course! Concise, detailed stages aimed at the busy GDP
- Great module on amalgams their history and their decline in use
- Thorough and well balanced review
The Dental Amalgam online learning course has clear and concise aims, objectives and anticipated outcomes, listed below. These will appear on the Dentaljuce Enhanced CPD Certificate, along with the time spent, dates, and detailed topics you studied within the module. Certificates can be printed at any time, covering any range of dates. Dentaljuce CPD complies with the UK GDC's requirements for enhanced verifiable continuing professional development.
Before starting this module, check that the learning outcomes are what you require, and that you have entered the need into your PDP. Here is an example PDP entry for this module.
|What development needs have I?||How will I address them?||Target completion date||Outcomes||Date
|Improve my skills with, and understanding of Dental Amalgam.
(GDC outcomes: C)
|Take the Dentaljuce Dental Amalgam course.||
|What development needs have I?||Improve my skills with, and understanding of Dental Amalgam.
(GDC outcome C)
|How will I address them?||Take the Dentaljuce Dental Amalgam course.|
|Target completion date|
Module Aims and Outcomes
The aim of the learning and teaching materials in this Dentaljuce module is to allow learners to develop their professional knowledge, understanding and competence in direct restorative dentistry using dental amalgam, in line with their identified personal learning requirements.
- to demonstrate the indications for and against, and use of, dental amalgam.
Anticipated learning outcomes:The learner will:
- learn the indications for and against operatively treating carious and non-carious lesions with dental amalgam.
- appreciate and apply the minimal intervention philosophy regarding the management of dental disease with amalgam.
- learn the best techniques for placing and shaping amalgam restorations
- through achieving these outcomes, provide an improved level of service to their patients.
GDC Development Outcomes
This CPD will support the learner in meeting the following GDC Development Outcome(s): C.