Welcome to this Dentaljuce module on sharps injuries.
Sharps injuries among dental personnel are extremely common. Almost all dental clinical staff have either had a sharps injury, or know someone who has. Research has shown that such injuries are often unreported, the main reason given being that the processes of dealing with it are considered too onerous.
This module takes you through all the aspects of sharps in dentistry. It is "Highly Recommended" by the GDC as part of disinfection and decontamination training.
If you're not yet a member of Dentaljuce, we highly recommend you to join and gain access to our comprehensive course on the MCA.
This course, along with over 100 other CPD courses, is available for a single membership payment.
The aim of the learning and teaching materials in this Dentaljuce module is to allow learners to develop their professional knowledge, understanding and competence in Safer Sharps, and managing sharps injuries, in line with their identified personal learning requirements.
- to update members of the dental team with the legislation, guidance, and current best practice in the safe management of sharps and correct management of sharps injuries.
Anticipated learning outcomes:The learner will, with respect to the components that he or she has elected to study as listed below:
- Know and understand the laws, regulations, practice requirements and duties governing Safer Sharps and Sharps Injury Management.
- Understand the basic science of vaccination, pathogen transfer and inoculation injury.
- Know the correct use and disposal of sharps.
- Know how to correctly manage and report a sharps injury.
- through achieving these outcomes, provide an improved level of service to their patients.
GDC Development Outcomes
This CPD will support the learner in meeting the following GDC Development Outcome(s): C.