Welcome to this Dentaljuce module on sharps.
Sharps injuries among dental personnel are extremely common. Almost all dental clinical staff have either had a sharps injury, or know someone who has. Research has shown that such injuries are often unreported, the main reason given being that the processes of dealing with it are considered too onerous.
This module takes you through all the aspects of sharps in dentistry. It is "Highly Recommended" by the GDC as part of disinfection and decontamination training.
Member Feedback on Sharps Injuries
- Really good course.
- Very informative and well laid out.
- Simple / straightforward / informative / well authenticated in support
- I really enjoyed this module. It was easy to read without complicated and unnecessary jargon and terminology.
- Very complete course. Good refresher module to ensure practicing to current recommendations.
The Sharps Injuries online learning course has clear and concise aims, objectives and anticipated outcomes, listed below. These will appear on the Dentaljuce Enhanced CPD Certificate, along with the time spent, dates, and detailed topics you studied within the module. Certificates can be printed at any time, covering any range of dates. Dentaljuce CPD complies with the UK GDC's requirements for enhanced verifiable continuing professional development.
Before starting this module, check that the learning outcomes are what you require, and that you have entered the need into your PDP. Here is an example PDP entry for this module.
|What development needs have I?||How will I address them?||Target completion date||Outcomes||Date
|To improve my knowledge and understanding of Safer Sharps and sharps injury management.
(GDC outcomes: C)
|Take the Dentaljuce Sharps Injury course.||
|What development needs have I?||To improve my knowledge and understanding of Safer Sharps and sharps injury management.
(GDC outcome C)
|How will I address them?||Take the Dentaljuce Sharps Injury course.|
|Target completion date|
Module Aims and Outcomes
The aim of the learning and teaching materials in this Dentaljuce module is to allow learners to develop their professional knowledge, understanding and competence in Safer Sharps, and managing sharps injuries, in line with their identified personal learning requirements.
- to update members of the dental team with the legislation, guidance, and current best practice in the safe management of sharps and correct management of sharps injuries.
Anticipated learning outcomes:The learner will:
- Know and understand the laws, regulations, practice requirements and duties governing Safer Sharps and Sharps Injury Management.
- Understand the basic science of vaccination, pathogen transfer and inoculation injury.
- Know the correct use and disposal of sharps.
- Know how to correctly manage and report a sharps injury.
- through achieving these outcomes, provide an improved level of service to their patients.
GDC Development Outcomes
This CPD will support the learner in meeting the following GDC Development Outcome(s): C.