Temporomandibular joint dysfunction, is an umbrella term covering pain and dysfunction of the muscles of mastication (the muscles that move the jaw) and the temporomandibular joints (the joints which connect the mandible to the skull).
Although Temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMD) is not in itself life-threatening, it can be detrimental to quality of life because the symptoms can become chronic and difficult to manage.
TMD is a symptom complex rather than a single condition, and it is thought to be caused by multiple factors. However, these factors are poorly understood, and there is disagreement as to their relative importance.
Member Feedback on TMJ Dysfunction
- This is a subject that I thought was more 'black and white' and your module provides a well rounded view of the condition highlighting all the 'grey areas'. I feel more enabled to be able to discuss options for patients having read this.
- Thorough explanations, enhanced existing knowledge and gave good back ground evidence of theories behind treatments.
- Very good coverage of a subject which I know little about.
- Very well explained, very helpful anatomy details
- Good comprehensive material. Thanks
The TMJ Dysfunction online learning course has clear and concise aims, objectives and anticipated outcomes, listed below. These will appear on the Dentaljuce Enhanced CPD Certificate, along with the time spent, dates, and detailed topics you studied within the module. Certificates can be printed at any time, covering any range of dates. Dentaljuce CPD complies with the UK GDC's requirements for enhanced verifiable continuing professional development.
Before starting this module, check that the learning outcomes are what you require, and that you have entered the need into your PDP. Here is an example PDP entry for this module.
|What development needs have I?||How will I address them?||Target completion date||Outcomes||Date
|To improve my knowledge on the management of TMJ Dysfunction.
(GDC outcomes: A C D)
|Take the Dentaljuce TMJ Dysfunction course.||
|What development needs have I?||To improve my knowledge on the management of TMJ Dysfunction.
(GDC outcome A C D)
|How will I address them?||Take the Dentaljuce TMJ Dysfunction course.|
|Target completion date|
Module Aims and Outcomes
The aim of the learning and teaching materials in this Dentaljuce module is to allow learners to develop their professional knowledge, understanding and competence in the field of TMJ dysfunction, in line with their identified personal learning requirements.
- to update members of the dental team with their understanding of, and current best practices in detection and management of TMJ dysfunction.
Anticipated learning outcomes:The learner will:
- understand the concepts that underpin modern TMJ dysfunction management theory.
- know how to manage the condition conservatively
- through achieving these outcomes, provide an improved level of service to their patients.
GDC Development Outcomes
This CPD will support the learner in meeting the following GDC Development Outcome(s): A C D.