Communication skills are essential in all aspects of life. A very few people appear to be naturally good communicators, but the majority need to work to achieve and maintain it.
In dentistry, we need to communicate effectively with patients, carers and the public, being sensitive to the verbal and non-verbal cues we receive and give out. We also communicate regularly with our professional colleagues and regulatory bodies.
We have to give "bad news" empathically, and be able to support the people we give it to.
This module takes you through the fundamentals, and how to successfully implement the latest technologies.
Member Feedback on Communication skills
- Very interesting and useful module - especially now when phone triage is so often the first step in dental treatment
- The course was very informative. Excellent for making dental professionals more aware of people whom require more attention. Thank you so much.
- It shows how important it is to enhance your skills not only from a clinical point of view.
- This was a really useful course especially during COVID - discussing mask use, use remote triage and managing those hard of hearing.
The Communication skills online learning course has clear and concise aims, objectives and anticipated outcomes, listed below. These will appear on the Dentaljuce Enhanced CPD Certificate, along with the time spent, dates, and detailed topics you studied within the module. Certificates can be printed at any time, covering any range of dates. Dentaljuce CPD complies with the UK GDC's requirements for enhanced verifiable continuing professional development.
Before starting this module, check that the learning outcomes are what you require, and that you have entered the need into your PDP. Here is an example PDP entry for this module.
|What development needs have I?||How will I address them?||Target completion date||Outcomes||Date
|To improve my communication skills.
(GDC outcomes: A D)
|Take the Dentaljuce Communication Skills course,||
|What development needs have I?||To improve my communication skills.
(GDC outcome A D)
|How will I address them?||Take the Dentaljuce Communication Skills course,|
|Target completion date|
Module Aims and Outcomes
The aim of the learning and teaching materials in this Dentaljuce module is to allow learners to develop their communication skills, in line with their identified personal learning requirements.
- to enhance the communication skills of members of the dental team.
Anticipated learning outcomes:The learner will:
- Know how to recognise, and respond to the different communication styles.
- Understand the differences between verbal and non-verbal communications.
- Know the wide range of communication skills required of dental professionals.
- Have a clear understanding of how to effectively use email, telephone calls and conduct video-consultations.
- Have a clear understanding of how to communicate with deaf or hard of hearing patients.
- Know how to break bad news
- through achieving these outcomes, provide an improved level of service to their patients.
GDC Development Outcomes
This CPD will support the learner in meeting the following GDC Development Outcome(s): A D.