2019 saw the start of a world-wide pandemic caused by a coronavirus that had jumped to humans from bats.
The disease is called Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
The virus that causes COVID-19 is called “Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2”. It is related to another coronavirus that caused the SARS outbreak in 2003, and another the MERS outbreak in the Middle East in 2012.
This Dentaljuce module draws directly on outside resources so that it stays up to date. It will tell you what you should be doing in your practice now, as well as give you an extensive background to the outbreak.
The aim of the learning and teaching materials in this Dentaljuce module is to allow learners to develop their professional knowledge, understanding and competence in managing COVID-19, in line with their identified personal learning requirements.
- to update members of the dental team with current best practice in managing the COVID-19 pandemic.
Anticipated learning outcomes:The learner will, with respect to the components that he or she has elected to study as listed below:
- recognise the importance of COVID-19.
- understand the basic science that underpins viral infection and community spread.
- understand the measures that she/he must apply in the dental surgery clinical environment.
- become aware of the importance and implications of COVID-19 as it relates to patients, visitors, staff, and the general public.
- through achieving these outcomes, provide an improved level of service to their patients.
GDC Development Outcomes
This CPD will support the learner in meeting the following GDC Development Outcome(s): A, B, C, D.