Dental Radiography and Radiation Protection
Dental staff in the UK are required by law to be "IRMER Trained". This law applies to everyone involved in taking and/or processing radiographs.
Staff registered with the UK General Dental Council are further recommended to undertake 5 hours of verifiable CPD in radiography / radiation protection during each 5-year CPD cycle.
This Dentaljuce module on Dental Radiography and Radiation Protection enables you to meet your statutory obligations to the law, the GDC, and the CQC. It takes you through the necessary physics and biology, the legal aspects, justification, optimisation, quality assurance, and lots more. The CPD certificate states IRMER & IRR compliance.
The aim of the learning and teaching materials in this Dentaljuce module is to allow learners to develop their professional knowledge, understanding and competence in Radiography and Radiological Protection, in line with their identified personal development requirements.
- to provide the learner with the core of knowledge and the understanding necessary to use X-ray equipment and process radiographs competently and safely in the dental practice, in line with the theoretical knowledge requirements of the IRR and IR(ME)R acts and current professional recommendations.
- to provide training for the roles of Operator, Practitioner, Referrer, Legal Person, and Radiation Protection Advisor.
Anticipated learning outcomes:The learner will:
- have an understanding of the physical principles involved in x-ray generation.
- have an understanding of the biological effects and dangers of x-ray radiation.
- know the relevant rules and regulations that apply to radiography in dental practice.
- understand the importance of Justification, Optimisation, and Quality Control Programmes in ensuring radiation safety.
- meet the IR(ME)R and IRR theoretical knowledge requirements.
- through achieving these outcomes, provide an improved level of service to their patients.
GDC Development Outcomes
This CPD will support the learner in meeting the following GDC Development Outcome(s): A, B, C, D.