Dental Radiography and Radiation Protection
Dental staff in the UK are required by law to be "IRMER Trained". This law applies to everyone involved in taking and/or processing radiographs.
Staff registered with the UK General Dental Council are further recommended to undertake 5 hours of verifiable CPD in radiography / radiation protection during each 5-year CPD cycle.
This Dentaljuce module on Dental Radiography and Radiation Protection enables you to meet your statutory obligations to the law, the GDC, and the CQC. It takes you through the necessary physics and biology, the legal aspects, justification, optimisation, quality assurance, and lots more. The CPD certificate states IRMER & IRR compliance.
Member Feedback on Dental Radiography and Radiation Protection
- Really enjoyed this module, very informative with just the right amount of text.
- Clear concise information given with good explanation. Extremely useful
- Very comprehensive course, well organised and explained
- Another brilliant course. Very clear, easy to understand and follow and with superb descriptions and examples of common errors and faults. Brilliant guidance on how to rectify these errors. Thank you very much.
- Really good. All the information you need, and reads very easily.
The Dental Radiography and Radiation Protection online learning course has clear and concise aims, objectives and anticipated outcomes, listed below. These will appear on the Dentaljuce Enhanced CPD Certificate, along with the time spent, dates, and detailed topics you studied within the module. Certificates can be printed at any time, covering any range of dates. Dentaljuce CPD complies with the UK GDC's requirements for enhanced verifiable continuing professional development.
Before starting this module, check that the learning outcomes are what you require, and that you have entered the need into your PDP. Here is an example PDP entry for this module.
|What development needs have I?||How will I address them?||Target completion date||Outcomes||Date
|To refresh and improve my knowledge and skills in radiography and radiological protection.
(GDC outcomes: A B C D)
|Take the Dentaljuce Radiography and Radiological Protection module.||
|What development needs have I?||To refresh and improve my knowledge and skills in radiography and radiological protection.
(GDC outcome A B C D)
|How will I address them?||Take the Dentaljuce Radiography and Radiological Protection module.|
|Target completion date|
Module Aims and Outcomes
The aim of the learning and teaching materials in this Dentaljuce module is to allow learners to develop their professional knowledge, understanding and competence in Radiography and Radiological Protection, in line with their identified personal development requirements..
- to provide the learner with the core of knowledge and the understanding necessary to use X-ray equipment and process radiographs competently and safely in the dental practice, in line with the theoretical knowledge requirements of the IRR and IR(ME)R acts and current professional recommendations.
Anticipated learning outcomes:The learner will:
- have an understanding of the physical principles involved in x-ray generation
- have an understanding of the biological effects and dangers of x-ray radiation
- know the relevant rules and regulations that apply to radiography in dental practice
- meet the IR(ME)R and IRR theoretical knowledge requirements.
- through achieving these outcomes, provide an improved level of service to their patients.
GDC Development Outcomes
This CPD will support the learner in meeting the following GDC Development Outcome(s): A B C D.