Are you a dental professional looking to improve your knowledge and understanding of correct antibiotic prescribing? If so, this course is the perfect opportunity for you.
Over-prescription of antimicrobials is creating resistant organisms. It is estimated that, in the UK alone, 50,000 people a year acquire an antibiotic-resistant infection, and 2,000 die from it.
UK dentists prescribe 8% of all antibiotics in this country. But 80% of antibiotics world-wide actually go to farm animals as a feed additive - it makes them produce more meat.
By only using antibiotics when essential, health-care professionals can lead by example, and hopefully make a change that can genuinely help the planet.
Our course on the importance of correct antibiotic prescribing in dentistry is designed to provide dental professionals with a comprehensive understanding of this important topic. The course covers a range of topics, including the principles of antibiotic prescribing, the potential risks and benefits of antibiotics, and evidence-based strategies for prescribing antibiotics appropriately in dental patients.
Member Feedback on Antibiotic prescribing
- I highly appreciate this module. Very useful information.
- Simple / straightforward / informative / well authenticated in support
- This module has improved my knowledge considerably with much more confidence as a result.
- Fantastic refresher
- An extremely informative module.As a nurse I don't directly prescribe but i can support the dentist in his discussions with patients and also help educate our patients who believe antibiotics are the cure for all.
The Antibiotic prescribing online learning course has clear and concise aims, objectives and anticipated outcomes, listed below. These will appear on the Dentaljuce Enhanced CPD Certificate, along with the time spent, dates, and detailed topics you studied within the module. Certificates can be printed at any time, covering any range of dates. Dentaljuce CPD complies with the UK GDC's requirements for enhanced verifiable continuing professional development.
Before starting this module, check that the learning outcomes are what you require, and that you have entered the need into your PDP. Here is an example PDP entry for this module.
|What development needs have I?||How will I address them?||Target completion date||Outcomes||Date
|Improve my knowledge of antibiotic prescribing
(GDC outcomes: C)
|Take the Dentaljuce Antibiotic Prescribing course||
|What development needs have I?||Improve my knowledge of antibiotic prescribing
(GDC outcome C)
|How will I address them?||Take the Dentaljuce Antibiotic Prescribing course|
|Target completion date|
Module Aims and Outcomes
The aim of the learning and teaching materials in this Dentaljuce module is to allow learners to develop their professional knowledge, understanding and management skills in antibiotic prescribing, in line with their identified personal development requirements.
- to teach antibiotic stewardship.
- to teach how to prescribe antibiotics appropriately.
Anticipated learning outcomes:The learner will:
- know about antimicrobial stewardship.
- know when antibiotics are, and are not, required as an adjunct to dental procedures.
- know when antibiotics are, and are not, required for prophylaxis.
- know which drugs and what doses are appropriate.
- through achieving these outcomes, provide an improved level of service to their patients.
GDC Development Outcomes
This CPD will support the learner in meeting the following GDC Development Outcome(s): C.